Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tell us not to do it

The other day Brian mentioned a potential gift idea for Katy for Christmas: fish. Either a goldfish in a bowl variety or an aquarium. Next door to the grocery store that I like is a pet store and aquarium. I've gotten into the habit of popping over there for a few minutes before we go to the grocery if we have time, because Katy loves it. She probably likes it even better than the zoo at this point, because the animals are closer and and she can see them and even pet some of them. She loves the fish. She walks up and down the aisle, pointing to every tank and saying, "fishy, fishy, fishy, fishy..." If any animal in the cage isn't moving, she puts her head up against it and says, "ni, night."

So does anyone have any experience owning fish? We had a tank when I was a kid, but I don't remember the upkeep. I just don't want to get into a situation where you are constantly putting money into it, or you have to find someone to come and feed them everytime you go out of town (we travel alot, as you may have noticed). And what's the deal with bowl vs. aquarium? Do the fish in the bowl just not require the air pump or something? Why do they get the short end of the stick?

5 comments:

Pam said...

Of course it's your decision but my opinion is don't do it.
We've had aquariiums - both fresh & salt water. Salt water was really high maintenance. Fresh isn't as bad but still reguires pumps, algae control, filters, plants, food etc.
As you know we have 2 cats and a dog but I will never have pets again. I love them but life's too busy and they've ruined my house - hair is a constant battle and they scratch carpets etc. Plus, you can't be out of the house without having someone go and take care of them.
Just a though - with another litte one on the way, do you really want the hassle?

Oma Froehle said...

Fish in a bowl have a life expectancy of about 6 weeks. Some of them live longer, but you basically change the water every few days and feed them (usually too much if you let the kids do it). This would be a good trial, because it is guaranteed not to last long. :-)

Aquariums are more of an investment because you need the filter and a heater and something to eat the algae (remember "Hoover"?) Stay with fresh water as Pam suggests. Get basic fish like neon tetras that thrive on neglect and are cheap. (This way you can replace them if they die and Katy will not notice.)

You can leave fish for several days without care. They are the most low maintenance pet I'm aware of. Avoid things nocturnal (like hamsters that run on their wheels all night) and anything small enough to crawl under the bed without being seen.

2 cents, please. :-) MOM

Jen said...

I wouldn't want to tackle a new baby and new pets at the same time. We always said Jacob could get a tortoise when her turned 5. Well, that was last week and there is still no tortoise in the picture. He isn't ready for it and neither are we. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Erin said...

Don't do the fish. Their bowls stink after a few days. Cleaning them is a pain. Katy will lose interest after Day Two. Luckily, fish don't live long. So at least they have that going for them.

Happy blogiversary! I, for one, am very glad you have this blog. I don't really "know" you, but I feel like I do through our blogs, and I love to read your stories. The photos of Katy are a huge bonus too; she's threatening to break the cuteness scale.

Giselle said...

Just breaking in here (I found you through Kelsey)...

We got my son a fish because he LOVED them, and he chose it as a reward for his "job chart". I thought it would be no big deal because they don't live long.

Fast forward 9 months...I am still cleaning this thing's tank once a month, and my son has very little interest in it. But it doesn't smell, and the bubbling sound of the filter is kind of a white noise in my kitchen. Not a lot of work. We got a very small tank with a filter in it. I still wish we just were going to VISIT the fish rather than owning one, though.

Looking forward to hearing about your ultrasound on Friday. I have mine that day too! Have fun!