Friday, November 16, 2007

Majority Rules

The cutest little baby face...


I spent my entire morning ringing my hands and twiddling my thumbs, waiting for my appointment around lunchtime. The time finally arrived, we got there 2 minutes early, and they informed us that things were really backed up. If you regularly visit an ob/gyn office, you know that's a bad sign. So we waited a painstaking 1.25 hours in the waiting room. Brian tried to distract me with lots of hype about tomorrow's big game, but I was really anxious. Come on, let's go!! But finally, the results are in...

Backbend or somersault? Looks like it hurts...



First and foremost this baby looks perfectly healthy from all angles. The U/S tech complained that she had a hard time getting some good looks because we had a mover and a shaker on our hands. I have felt a lot of movement (since my mom asked about activity level after yesterday's post). And another interesting fact is that I've gained the same amount of weight as I had last time at this point, so that was good to know that I haven't put on tons of extra weight. But the scan was really neat, we got to see a lot of parts, including one we weren't sure if we'd see...

She asked us which one of us had big feet, because apparently these are huge


So as you may have guessed, 62% of you were right, we are having a boy!!! Brian and I were both a little surprised by this news. Since Brian's brother has 3 girls and we have 1, we were kind of thinking that this family was just destined to have girls. And I had my own other reasons for thinking that it was a girl, and I was quite cocky about it in my head. (I was even thinking about the poll - "ha ha ha, they all think I'm having a boy - wait until they find out!") So the joke's on me. I am going to have a son!

This one's a little hard to make out, but right in the middle is a nose (one nostril on top of the other) and lips to the left


So we are really excited. I have to admit, I feel a little uncertain about having a boy. I've just always been around little girls, I feel confident about my ability to have daughters, but this whole son realm is unfamiliar to me. I only had a sister growing up, and I wasn't one to have a lot of close guy friends, so it's just hard for me to imagine this relationship. But now I'm glad that I know - I have plenty of time to get psyched about it, as I'm sure I will be. (Mothers of sons - insert reassurance here)



So that's that. The American dream - one of each, right? We'll see. I feel pretty dreamy about the family I've been blessed with so far... I have a hard time seeing it turn the other direction.

10 comments:

Giselle said...

Ah, the uncertainty of something new. I felt the same way when I found out I was having my daughter. Like, wait a minute, I just figured this boy thing out! But even if you'd had another girl, she would have been totally different.

I come from a family of ALL GIRLS...I had no experience with boys...and I had a boy first. I have learned a lot about boys. And I was a little apprehensive, because when I thought of boys, I thought of jumping, hyper, destructive, non-talkative little monsters. But I didn't get that. There is no "mold" for a boy. You'll figure it out...you'll get a little boy perfectly fit for your family...and you'll love every minute of it.

Congratulations! Boys rock!

Weed said...

Congratulations!!! I'm sure you'll be a GREAT mother of a little guy. I understand your apprehension (I would feel the exact same way), but I'm sure that in the next four months you'll get more used to the idea.

Pam said...

Congratulations! We are so pleased for you both. He'll be wonderful little brother for Katy to love & protect.
Good call on today - Jack is not 100% and I think my cold is turning into mild flu - not a good environment for Katy & you,
I'll call you.
GO BUCKS!

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled...John voted BOY twice...maybe that's why!
Anyway...having 4 granddaughters is wonderful. After raising 2 sons its very interesting to me the differencies between little boys and girls. It's nothing we can teach - it's just built in! We will all have so much fun watching them grow together. We love you all soooo much! Grammy and Papa John

Erin said...

It's a boy! It's a boy!

That is very very exciting. I mean, obviously, it would be also exciting to have another girl. But boys are SO much fun and you all are going to love having a brother in the house!

Thanks for telling us the news. I love knowing. Now for the new blog name... we must chat on email...

Anonymous said...

I also grew up with a sister, and didn't know for sure how I'd do with a boy. It is SOOO much fun! I think you will love it, and I Katie will enjoy it too. Praising God for you healthy pregnancy!
Allecia (Friend of Wendy's)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! so exciting!- Maureen

Kelsey said...

Woo-hoo, Katie gets to have a little brother! That's exciting. I loved the ultra sound pictures. Maybe you are growing a gymnast in there!

Mommy Daisy said...

Ok, I'm the mother of a boy here to reassure you that it will be great.

I'm the oldest of 3 girls. My mom is the oldest of 3 girls as well. I used to babysit a lot when I was younger, but it was always girls. I had very little experience with little boys. When I was pregnant we really wanted a girl. About a week before my 20-week ultrasound, I had a dream that the baby was a boy. From there out I thought nothing but boy, boy, boy. A week later, my dream was confirmed.

Having a boy is great. People had told me that they are so much more loving. They LOVE hugs and kisses and cuddling, where girls tend to be a little more independent. My son is such a lover. It's great. And I would have it no other way. I would never ever trade him for a little girl. I can't imagine it any other way. You'll feel that way soon.

And people say that there are no cute boy clothes. That is so not true. I LOVE boy clothes. Girls clothes (especially for babies) tend to be really cutesie and frilly. But boy clothes are so preppy and modern or sporty, but there are lots of great places. (My favorite places to get boy clothes are Children's Place, Baby Gap, and Old Navy.) CONGRATS!! And best of luck.

Jen said...

I was sure Jacob was a girl (I did tons of temp. charting and knew exactly when he was conceived)and was totally caught off guard when the ultrasound showed he was a boy. Only having one brother (8 years younger) didn't prepare me, but it is fun to learn about all of the things boys are interested in. He is such a stinker and a sweetheart all rolled in to one. I love him more than words can describe and wouldn't trade him for anything (most days!). God gave you exactly what He knows your family needs. Congrats!