Monday, November 19, 2007

18 months - is it possible?


As my sister-in-law reminded me yesterday, today is Katy's half birthday. That means she's one and a half. Actually, throughout our visit yesterday, Kelly kept referring to Katy as "2" or "almost 2". I don't think of her as "almost 2" at all, but more like "just past one." But here we are, halfway to her 2nd birthday. I seriously just cannot believe it.


In a very punctual manner, we had Katy's 18 month well visit today. We got all vaccinated, and here are her new stats:


Weight: 22 lbs. 3 oz., 25%'ile


Height: 31.25 in., 35%'ile


I was also able to talk to the pediatrician about Katy's recent scary habits. I really like my pediatrician, because he really listens and provides a good balance between genuine concern and experienced reassurance. He said that what I was describing was definitely unusual, and that it was worth keeping an eye on. However, he said that during the 30 years that he has been practicing, he has seen 18 month olds do some really weird things that they just end up growing out of. He said that if she is eventually warming up to people and not doing it in familiar places, it's probably just extreme stranger anxiety. He did mention a condition called selective mutism, of which I have heard, that we may need to consider if she doesn't grow out of it. I'm really tempted to google it, but we all know what that will lead to. So I'll just keep an eye on it and pray that it's something she will outgrow.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hard to believe she is that "old" already! Glad to hear her dr. visit went well and that you got some reassurance. =)

Oma Froehle said...

But I thought Katy was afraid of the pediatrician?! How did she act around him? If strangers always stuck me, I wouldn't like them either.

I agree . . . she's not almost 2 yet. Time goes too fast to be wishing away toddlerhood. 18 months is fine, just fine!

Emily said...

Mom,

Yes, she is indeed afraid of the pediatrician. I happened to be holding her when he walked in the room today, so I think that helped. She got very quiet and wouldn't look at him, and she cried when he examined her, but she didn't do the freaky non-responsive stuff. Plus I was distracted by talking to him so I wasn't staring at her like I usually am when she does that.

Pam said...

It goes quick but I also can't imagine what life was like before - you know?
Anyway, glad your docs appointment went okay & it sounds pretty reassuring what the Doc said.
Oh, I agree with your mum - she's 18 months old. When do we stop using months though and "round-up"?

Anonymous said...

I love when you ask a child their age..Sometimes they will say "3 and a half" so proudly. Wonder why we don't continue to do that throughout life...."Oh, I'm 39 and a half!"....We cling to that whole number to the last minute! I agree with Oma...keep her at "one" until she's "two"! It goes way too fast....Love Grammy