Saturday, November 24, 2007

Highlights for which to be thankful



*Katy slept very well, including naps, at both my Dad's and my grandma's. She's a much better traveler than this time last year. And I only packed 2 small bags for her.



*Katy is obsessed with animals, and absolutely loved my Dad's dog Scout. Just look at that smile.




*We got lots of hang-out time with family, including 7 grandparents. We are so very fortunate to have all this family.



*I got to stop by and see my friend Cindy and her family. I love seeing them, and it brings back a lot of good memories from growing up. Plus it was fun to see how Katy interacted in her home. She gave kisses all around as we left.

*My grandpa dug out this swing that he built when my mom was little. Katy's time at my grandparents' was a series of swinging, eating, and chasing the cat...



*So Katy loved Rosie the cat. She chased it just like she chased the dog, but the cat was less than thrilled. At one point she followed Rosie into the other room, and I went behind her, because I was nervous that she was annoying the cat a little too much. And good thing I did: as Rosie ran under a coat rack and Katy reached under to pet her, the cat started to hiss. I reached over and scooped her up, but not quite quickly enough. The cat went nuts, scratching, hissing, and snapping at her. She managed to scrape her paw across Katy's temple before I grabbed her, and it scared both of us into tears. But I am really thankful for this. First of all, I'm thankful that I was right there to grab her, that the cat missed her eye, and that I got a really good warning about how I need to teach Katy to be careful around animals. I don't have any pets, so I don't think I'm as careful as I should be about them. This little incident really freaked me out. Unfortunately, it had no effect on Katy. She continued to try to chase the poor animal and chant "kee kat, kee kat, kee kat." So I have some work to do...



*Brian got to watch alot of sports. This is really relaxing for him so I'm glad that he had a good time. He and my grandpa had quite the set-up, so they were sure not to miss a beat...

2 comments:

Jen said...

Glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving and that Katy was okay after the kee-kat incident. After Jacob was bitten by Cooper (and many visits to the plastic surgeon), I thought he'd never go near another dog. Turns out he is just fine with them. I, on the other hand, get so freaked out when any of the kids are around dogs, even those of their grandparents. Katy will learn to be gentle eventually, it will just take lots of reminding on your part. =)

Pam said...

I've had dogs and cats all my life. Jack loves Cody and Frank but he pushes the limits sometimes and annoys them and there is always the possibility they'll bite.
I have actually seen Cody (most placid dog on the planet) bare his teeth at Jack when he's had enough petting.
I LOVE my animals, but I'll never leave Jack alone with them.