Saturday, November 03, 2007

Nervous Mommy Alert


I keep debating about whether or not to write about this, but it's really on my mind today, and I'm supposed to post everyday, so... I wouldn't know what else to post about. Plus maybe I'm hoping for some reassurance.


Recently we were returning home from a road trip and stopped at Wendy's for lunch. We were sitting there, Katy happily eating oranges and cheeseburger, when all the sudden I looked over at her panicked. She was staring blankly at the floor, totally silent, and was kind of slouching forward. I tapped her and said, "Katy, are you ok?" and she whispered, "yeah". But I said, "Look up at mommy." No response, small attempt to look up with her eyes. Then for the freaky part: I lunge forward and grab her out of her chair, and she's all slouched over, not reaching up with her arms or responding to my touch. I put her in my lap and start (freakishly) stroking her face and saying, "What's wrong, are you ok?", and finally she starts to sit up and act normally. Within a minute she was completely fine. Because of my somewhat medical background, I tend to overreact to things, but my first thought was...I'm scared to even say it: seizure. I've seen many kids have seizures and this was not completely out of the question. But then I noticed a guy sitting at the next table who had been waving and making faces at Katy. He somewhat resembled our pediatrician (of whom Katy is terrified), and I thought, hmmm...I wonder if she was just really scared of him?


Well, since this incident, this has happened several more times, but all in situations in which she could've been frightened: a stranger walks quickly into the room and enthusiastically approaches her, a large kangaroo at the petting zoo got a little too close, and then today, today was the worst.


We went to BW3's to watch part of the OSU game. (Stupid Time Warner and Big Ten Network have conspired with the local bars so that no one can see the game without going out). This didn't go well last year with Katy, but I really did not think it would be a problem this year. Well, we were inside for about 2 minutes, the Buckeyes scored, the entire restaurant erupted in cheers, and Katy lost it. First she did her silent slump forward, then she screamed so hard for me, and when I picked her up she was actually convulsing, crying so hard. She couldn't be distracted, so after a couple minutes I took her outside. I got her calmed down enough to drive home, and then she was fine.


So we have a well visit in a couple weeks, and of course I will ask the pediatrician about it then. But I guess my question is: is this normal toddler anxiety? Or are her fears triggering something more serious? Is that possible? It sends me into a tizzy (how in the world do you spell "tizzy"?) when she does it. I just love this little girl so much, I'm so scared that something bad will happen to her. This is the cross a parent bears, I guess.

6 comments:

Kelsey said...

That *is* scary. I'm sure she'll be fine -- as the thing about her being frightened sounds like the most likely explanation. But trust me when I say I know what it's like to worry something is wrong with your child; I'll say a few extra prayers for you guys.

Pam said...

I bet it's a fear thing. I remember last year how freaked out she was - that place was NOISY!
I totally understand how you look for things though - and you're more "tuned in" to look for things.
Give her a big hug from us.

Kate said...

She isn't doing it at home... which makes me think it's a fear thing. But I'd be freaked out, too. Poor thing!

Mommy Daisy said...

Wow, that's scary. My son has never done anything like that. It almost sounds like an anxiety thing. She just isn't comfortable in situations like that, so that's her coping mechanism. But do ask your doctor, for sure. Maybe they'll have some advice.

Jen said...

It sounds like anxiety, but definitely check with her ped. Hope you get some answers soon. Keep us posted!

Oma Froehle said...

Katy did this with me a little bit last weekend when we went to Rite Aid to buy crayons. A sort of scary looking guy said hello to her, and she looked at the floor and acted frightened. As soon as he left, she was fine.

I am a little behind on my child development, but I seem to remember that kids about her age are really afraid of strangers and have a lot of separation anxiety, especially in unfamiliar places. Katy is generally sort of "super sensitive" about noise and new people. Aunt Mel gets a very nervous stomach when she's upset. This may be Katy's way of signalling distress. 2 cents for my opinon. Ask the doctor.