Thursday, January 21, 2010

Couped

This week has been a total bust. Gradually Katy, Brian and I have all come down with David's ailment. It's just a cold with a low grade fever, but it's enough to keep us home, inside, and miserable. Each day I keep hoping that we'll be well enough tomorrow to resume normal activities, but day by day, we've had to cancel the whole week.

At least the fever makes the decision easier. I always struggle with when to keep the kids home when they have plans for school, swimming lessons, playgroup, etc. Are they too snotty/coughy to go, etc? But when there's a fever involved, at least the decision is made for you: that's one rule that's black and white.

Also, they put David on an oral steroid for his wheezing, and within 24 hours I was calling the pharmacist to see how long he has to take it. The side effects are dramatic. He is so emotional, irrational, and miserable. Yesterday I was thinking, where in the world did my sweet boy go? He was screaming crying about every little thing, nothing made him happy, and he kept throwing himself on the floor sobbing. I know he's about to turn 2 and he's sick, but I'm completely convinced it's the 'Roids. The pharmacist didn't even ask why I was asking, he just said, "he's a wreck, isn't he?"

So it's fine, hopefully we'll be better by next week. I'm just ready to get these kids out of the house.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Blimey, you're having it rough right now. I'm so sorry Emily. Call if you need anything. X

Oma Froehle said...

Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease. So did you stop the medication? Poor baby.