Friday, October 03, 2008

The Week in Review

It's been a bit of an unusual week, for a few reasons.

First, I got a (somewhat) spontaneuous visit from my cousin Abby and her son Gabe. (Ok, we planned it a few days in advance, but that's about as spontaneous as I get these days). It was so fabulous to see her and for the kids to play together. It's so funny, because Katy and Gabe are exaclty the same size. They're really cute playing together. We took them to the best ice cream place in the world (even Oprah thinks so), and then Abby and I got to enjoy a nice quiet afternoon of napping babies. Oh, and she's adding another one to the troops in February. More cousins, yippee!!

Then a very unusual thing happened: Brian got sick. He never gets sick. In fact, he always teases me about how ever since we got engaged he's done nothing but take care of me while I'm sick (some of that was pregnancy related, plus a bad bout of mono). This week I got to return the favor a little bit. But he's better now, and we're not sure what it was because so far (knock, knock), the kids and I haven't gotten it.

It's also gotten really cold all of the sudden. Well, maybe cool would be a better term, but it feels cold coming off of summer. I had forgotten what a royal PAIN it is to bundle up kids, especially babies, to go outside. So here are a couple of questions for those of you who have the chitlens:

1) If you are just getting in the car to go somewhere and then will immediately get out of the car and go inside, do you bother putting jackets on? Isn't the "jacket in car seat" thing a pain?

2) Let's say you have a 2 year old (hypothetically), who throws a fit about wearing shoes and socks to play in the yard, and it's 50 degrees out. Do you fight this battle or just let her feet get cold?

3) How cold does it have to be outside before you turn the furnace on? Or I guess more accurately, how cold does it have to get inside?

Finally, last night I sorted through all of my clothes and came to an astonishing revelation, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Article for article, I have more maternity clothing than I have regular clothing. And not only that, when I pulled out my non-maternity fall clothes (that I've worn 1 of the last 3 winters) and tried them on, I hated them all. So I'm down to a couple of pairs of jeans and a few shirts. Next week's review will hopefully include "acquired new wardrobe."

3 comments:

bluedaisy said...

My 2cents- #1:Once it's cold enough, I definitely do the jacket thing. Right now if just chilly, I do the lightweight sweatshirt type jacket that isn't quite so cumbersome with the car seat. If it's sunny and the car is warm, I might skip jackets for a quick trip, #2: Definitely shoes but I am sort of a stickler on shoes most of the time, #3: Our heat has already been on a couple of mornings b/c while our upstairs is stays pretty warm, our downstairs does not. Not sure what the official indoor temp is though... Also, glad that Brian is feeling better!

Weed said...

1) Yes, I do a coat (jacket right now) in winter, except on a long trip when it gets warm in the car. 2) Yes, I make her wear shoes, but she doesn't put up a fight, so I don't know what I'd do in your situation--sorry, no help there! 3) We haven't turned the furnace on yet, but I probably will when it gets down to....um...68 degrees in the house? Just a guess. Our house has been pretty warm so far. Hope that's somewhat helpful. I'm glad your husband's feeling better. Mine is sick with a horrible ear infection right now that has me a little worried. He has shooting pain in his ear and can't hear out of that ear.

Pam said...

1. Take jacket and put on if walking outside or run to store without it (I hate jacket in seat too), 2. Make her wear shoes or offer some cool wellies. 3. We're not on yet but we do have a couple of those small radiators we've used in ours and Jack's room before bed. 66 maybe?
Hope Brian's better. As if you need an excuse - go shopping woman!!! I'll sit for Katy so you can have some good shopping time.