Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Funny Ha-Ha or Funny Strange?

Funny Ha-Ha: Around the time of her 2nd birthday, Katy got her first tube of chapstick as well as her first gluestick. These two items are way too similar in form and in name, so she has never been able to learn to distinguish them. She is constantly asking to put gluestick on her lips.

Funny Strange: Yesterday when we returned from running an errand, Katy grabbed a few items in the driveway before coming in the house. She then laid them neatly on the kitchen floor and yelled, "Ha Ha! A rock, a bwuberry, and a weaf!!" Then she ran giddily to the other room and returned with a book. She sat down and started reading, as if to her children. After her nap, she came to the kitchen and asked, "Where's my rock, bwuberry, and weaf go?" I told her that I put them outside because that's where they live. She insisted on going out to get more, and then reading stories to them in the kitchen.

Funny Ha-Ha: Every time Katy finishes a book, she slams it shut and proclaims, "Dat's a really great book!"

Funny Strange: Until a few weeks ago, Katy always called me Mommy, and I have always referred to myself as such. Recently she started calling me Momma. She did this for a while, consistently, every time she used my name. Now this week, it's just Mom. "I need a snack, Mom. I wanna go outside, Mom. I'm ready to take a bath, Mom." Like she's 15.

Funny Ha-Ha: Katy has a Toddler Bible that has abbreviated Bible stories with animated pictures in it. She constantly brings the book to me and asks, "Do you wanna find Jesus, Mom? Let's find Jesus." Then she flips through the pages and shouts, "There He is!! There's Jesus! What's Jesus doing now? Jesus is sleeping (during the storm)! Jesus is swimming (baptizing)! Jesus is praying (yep, He's praying)! There's Jesus in the clouds (ascending to heaven)!" Her favorite page is the one with the 12 Disciples, "Jesus' friends." She can name 8/12, and it's not like I'm trying to teach her.

Funny Strange: Katy is still SUPER nervous around strangers. Especially if we are somewhere and someone unexpected arrives. (Like if we're at a playdate and the kid's Dad comes home from work) It blows my mind how often this is a problem. We rarely go out anywhere that she doesn't have some kind of nervous meltdown at some point during the trip. Wailing, tears, 10 minutes of recovery. When I say that we're going to the park, she says, "No people at the park?!?" And I reassure her that yes, there will be people at the park, but they are nice people and Mommy will always keep her safe." I don't know what else to do, and I'm starting to wonder if and when it's going to get better. She's almost 2 and a half now.

-----------------

For those who commented on the TV grocery carts - I bet they'll be coming to your area soon, if you don't have them already. I've only noticed them here in the last 6 months or so, and that's only at certain stores. But yesterday I discovered the biggest downfall of them: planning on it. I got to the store and they were all being used. I should've followed my own rule about never shopping for a big list with both of them. That's IT. I am NOT DOING THAT ANY MORE. Period.

4 comments:

Pam said...

These are all great stories to keep.
As a matter of interest, which name do you prefer? Mommy, mamma or mom?

Emily said...

Pam,
I feel more like a "Mommy" so I have always called myself that to her. I don't mind the others... but it seems weird for a 2 year old to call me Mom. She just seems too young for that. Who knows what it will be next week.

Kelsey said...

Ah - Harper did that "Mom" thing too and it sounded so harsh to my ears! I think she actually goes about half and half now (Mom versus Mommy) and I am more used to it.

The abrupt switch to Mom does make them sound like sassy teenagers!

Oma Froehle said...

Since we were at your house last weekend, maybe Katy heard you and Melanie call me MOM and thought it had a nice ring. The interesting thing about that is that she has figured out that there are different names for the same person based on the relationship.

As long as she doesn't call you Emily, I wouldn't worry about it. But . . . don't be surprised. :-)