Monday, May 21, 2007

Post-Op Report

I wanted to let everyone know that Brian's surgery went well. We now have some kind of explanation for why Brian can't remember how he injured his shoulder: the rotator cuff tear was being caused by a bone spur and arthritis on the collar bone that was rubbing against the tendon (ouch). The doc says he "cleaned it up" (whatever that means) and that it should be much better after recovery. After reporting to the hospital at the ungodly hour of 5 am (I mean really, to be somewhere at 5 essentially means that you have to get up in the middle of the night, don't you think?), he was out of surgery by 8:30 and home by 11:15. The next few days will be a cycle of pain meds, ice, exercises, and repositioning. But overall Brian is in good spirits and starting to feel a little more "with it".

My Dad and Sue have to come to help for a few days which is a Godsend. Keeping both Brian and Katy fed, medicated and rested will be my focus for the next few days. Yesterday Katy battled her fever all day and didn't have much of an appetite, but today she woke up without a fever and has been doing better. I think she's on the mend, which will help a lot. She goes for her 12 month well visit on Wednesday, so I'll have new stats to report!

So keep us in your prayers this week and I will keep you updated. I think this is the end of the April/May marathon of activity for us. It has been a busy 2 months, and I hope my posts don't seem boring in comparison for the rest of the summer. :)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Best wishes Brian for a speedy recovery and good luck Emily taking care of your family over the next few days. If there's anything we can do to help, please let me know.