Friday, May 18, 2007

A mom moment

So I was just putting Katy to bed a few minutes ago, and it hit me. Oh. my. gosh. Tomorrow is your birthday. The next time I see you, you will be one. It's been a whole year that you've graced my life with your sweet little presence. And man, I couldn't love you more, I don't think. I've been so wrapped up in planning your party (which should be great), getting your picture taken (which should be cute), and taking you to your well visit (which hopefully won't be scary) that I have completely missed the point until now.

I can barely even remember those first few weeks last summer. You slept in the bassinet at the foot of our bed and I felt like I did nothing but nurse you and sleep in small intervals. It's all so very blurry, especially the list of things to calm you when you were fussy (the vaccuum cleaner, when all else failed). And now you crawl into my lap to read a book or snuggle up against my cheek with your thumb in your mouth when you get tired. And how did you get so smart? You walk toward the door when I swing the diaper bag over my shoulder, and you try to put mommy's sunglasses on your head, like I wear them. You're my little Katy-girl and you're 1 year old. Now go to sleep (I can still hear you up there), because there's a big ol' party tomorrow in your honor.

No comments: