Thursday, May 10, 2007

A glimpse into the future

Today a friend of mine (and fellow blogger), Kelsey, came to visit from another part of Ohio, bringing her two and a half year old daughter Harper. Kelsey and I hadn't seen each other for several years (gosh, maybe it's been 5 or 6?), but we've reconnected recently largely because of becoming moms and blogging. Kelsey is a really talented writer and I really enjoy reading her blog entries, and you really get to know someone when you get to read all these stories of what happens in their daily life!

So anyway, Kelsey and I had a nice time catching up, and we found ourselves talking about the many differences between a 12 month old and a 30 month old. It doesn't seem like they'd be that far apart in age, but really there's a world of difference. And I got a chance to get a glimpse into what life will be like for me in about 18 months. The joys and challenges are still there, just in varying formats. Like when Harper was walking on a balance beam and Kelsey asked what she was doing, she stated matter-of-factly, "I'm balancing!" Duh, mom... But then the frustration when Harper was trying to describe exactly how she wanted Kelsey to push the swing, "no, not that way, on the top, from the back!"


What's neat is that Kelsey doesn't live far from my dad, so now that the girls are old enough to enjoy each other's company, we can get together now and then fairly easily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend will be my first official Mother's Day. Last year I was "great with child" (as Mary was described on the first Christmas) on Mother's Day, and I was actually having contractions that weekend, although Katy wasn't born until the following Friday. But it's hard to really comprehend being a mom until you've seen your child, so I didn't really celebrate Mother's Day in the traditional sense. (although I must acknowlege that Brian gave me a gift - and a nice one at that) So this year, since it's all official, my own Mom gave me a Mother's Day gift (don't worry, I have one to give back to her). Are you ready? Here it is:

Yes, that's my daughter's face. On an apron. What more could a mother ask for?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hi Emily! I connected to your site through Kelsey's. Katy is adorable and I'll probably stop in to read every once in a while. Hope you don't mind! The girls' day at the park looks like a lot of fun.