Sunday, May 27, 2007

New roomie and new skills


I don't know if I mentioned this before, but my sister Melanie is moving in with us for the summer. She has a break between leases from June 1 - Sept 1, so she decided to save some money and stay in our guest room. She moved in this weekend, so we officially have a new roomie. I'm not sure it's going to be that much different than before for a couple of reasons. First of all, she only lived a couple doors down before, and it would be a rare occasion for us to not see her at all on any given day. (We always tease her that she's like the sister Jackie on that old sitcom Roseanne. She's the single sister who just walks in without knocking, grabs a snack, argues with Dan and leaves. That's pretty much Melanie's role in our house). The second reason is that she's not only working full time at a day care this summer, but she's also participating in an evening program with her church called the Nehimiah Project. So she really won't be around much except to sleep, shower, and eat.
This entire school year, Melanie has watched Katy on Tuesday afternoons while I am at work, which has led to the two of them being pretty good buds. There's only a handful of people who get as big of a smile from Katy as Aunt Mel. So I know Katy will be excited to have her in the next room all summer. Aunt Mel is also excited to be around because Katy is in such a sweet and hilarious stage right now. Even in the last week she has started doing some pretty funny and (I think) intelligent things:
-When I pick up my diaper bag or say it's time to go "bye-bye," she waves and says "Dah" and walks toward the door with great persistence. If you don't immediately follow her and open the door, she pulls on it and whines (she really likes to go out).
-The other day we were getting ready to go somewhere and I said, "First you need to put your shoes on," and she walked over and picked up her shoes! I couldn't believe it!
-She "talks" non-stop in this strange language that I wish I understood. It cracks me up how she looks at you and talks and then stops and waits for your responses as if you are having a conversation.
-Katy loves to help me unload the dishwasher, but it got to the point where she would cry when I closed it. In order to prevent this upsetting ritual, I started asking her to help me close it while saying "bye bye, dishwasher!", which really seemed to work. Well, now look what she tries to do the entire time I'm attempting to put the dishes away:

No comments: