Sunday, January 21, 2007

Progress despite difficulty

We are still trying to recover from Katy's ear infection (yes, I mean we, as in all of us in this house feel the effects of her ear infection...), but it amazes me how even when she's sick, Katy continues to develop and progress. There are these little sweet moments in the middle of whiny exhaustion. For instance, for months Katy's only verbal response has been "bababababababa", but just yesterday she very clearly started in with "mamamamamama". She obviously doesn't associate that with a name for me, but she's making the sound, which is a start. And she has this little toy with the disney faces that pop up, and we always pop them up for her and she loves to close them, over and over. Today she clicked one of them open, and she giggled and looked proud of herself, clicking it open again and again. Brian reacted as if she had taken her first steps. These little precious moments (not the statues) are what get me through a few hours of fussiness and antibiotic-induced baby diarrhea.

We've also made some household progress this weekend. Despite her not feeling well, Brian still took Katy-duty on Saturday so that my Dad and Sue and I could paint the dining room - a project I have wanted to do since we got married. Here's a before and after. It's hard to tell, but the new color is a subtle shade of green.
Before...





During...

After...




On another note, one man's trash is truly another's treasure. We got this fridge for free on one of Brian's list serves. Nice that it's white and matches the new kitchen stuff and it's bigger and nicer than our old one (we gave our old one to our tenant to upgrade hers.)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hi guys,
I hope Katy feels better soon! She's standing up - woo hoo! A big milestone.
You are leaps ahead of me everytime! I just subscribed to Youtube so I can upload video too! It's a great addition to the blog isn't it.
Take care.