Thursday, January 04, 2007

My little contribution to the kitchen project

Well, it may not be much, but I finally made some curtains to help brighten up the kitchen a bit. I made these ties because I love how bright and sunny the kitchen is now, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ties. Are they too country? You can let me know what you think.



We ordered tile for the backsplash behind the sink, and Brian hopes to work on it this weekend. we are gradually ticking off the checklist for finishing this major project.

If I had to summarize my activities over the past week in one word, it would be "organization". You know the after-Christmas drill: you put the decorations away, you have some new things to put away, and it motivates you to get rid of some old stuff and get organized. If you're one of the people who gave Katy a toy for Christmas, you motivated me to purchase this beauty today:

All those toys and look what she choses to play with. Actually that's how I was distracting her while I organized her toys. :) I've learned that having a kid is a revolving door or organizing things. She continually grows out of things that I need to put away for potential future kids, then get out the hand-me-downs that she is growing into. I was at Target the other day and about every third person had a Rubbermaid container in their cart. I guess I'll be joining them.


3 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

I like the ties, Emily. I think I would attach them lightly to the sides of the window frame with press-on velcro and then sew the other piece to the center of your ties if you like it. This would pull the curtains over instead of letting them hang like an hour glass. 2 cents. Mom

Kelsey said...

Emily,

We got one of those organizers too, it was (how sick is this?) part of my Christmas gift from Matt. Sadly, almost the entire thing is being used to house Harper's kitchen/food/doll items. Which I will let everyone know we definitely don't need any more of for a decade or so. Glad to see you had a happy holiday!

Pam said...

I agree with your mum about the curtains. Kitchen looks great!
We are also looking for a toy box so thanks for the idea - from Lowes?
I also agree about the never ending turnover of "stuff". We're going to Once Upon a Child tomorrow!