Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Lesson in Why Babyproofing is Important

Here is a photo of how I found Katy after leaving her unsupervised for a moment to make breakfast this morning:

Doesn't she have an ornery look on her face?

I've also discovered in the last few days how social Katy is, especially with other babies. Yesterday I went to a meeting to see about joining a playgroup with other moms with babies Katy's age in our neighborhood. The meeting went well and we're starting next week, this is as much for me as it is for Katy. But anyway, as soon as we sat down Katy was crawling all over the place, grabbing toys from other kids, smiling at them and grabbing at their faces ("gentle, gentle"). Then today we went to a Baby Sign Language class. Again, all the other babies are sitting quietly in front of their moms chewing on a teething ring and Katy takes off across the room to steal someone's winne the pooh. I kept dragging her back to my area, then she'd take off again. The neat thing is that I can tell she really likes being around other kids/people. So that helps me to know how to foster her development. She's gonna be a stinker. A cute one.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

We definitely need to reschedule a visit if Katy is craving social interaction, she and Harper will get along fantastically! Maybe you can shoot me an e-mail and remind me what your good days are.

Oma Froehle said...

I was telling Greg last week about taking you on the bus into downtown Dayton when you were about Katy's age and how you made "friends" with the toothless old man in the seat behind us. It made his day . . . and mine, too.

That kind of confidence from a baby comes from a good sense of security. You are off to a good start. :-)