Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Reason #263...

...that David is a different beast than Katy.

Potty Training.

In case you weren't reading here back then, I had a TIME training Katy. Let's see...you can read about it here, here, here, here, and here. Oh, wait. And here, here, and here. In fact, she went to preschool at 3 years, 4 months, and I was nervous up to the last minute that we weren't going to make it. And we were still having "poop accidents on purpose" after her 4th birthday.

David, however. I drug my feet getting started because when I gently asked if he wanted to go, he kept saying no. But one day I convinced him, made a big deal out of his success, and we haven't had to look back. After 2 or 3 days, he was accident free at home. With the exception of one time when he was busy playing with friends, he hasn't had any accidents at home for two weeks.  Even when we're out, he's mostly  keeping his diaper dry and telling me when he needs to go.  I'm shocked. All this time I've been dreading it, and he did so great.

My conclusion is that he was just ready. It certainly wasn't anything that I did differently this time. I had tried one other time in the fall and he had just pooped and peed all over the place and didn't seem to mind or notice. So this time he was ready, and I'm relieved.  Not that he won't continue to have accidents or setbacks, but this first few weeks has blown my expectations out of the water.

Next step is to transition to the big toilet, because cleaning out the plastic potty for my active boy is not the most pleasant part of parenting.

2 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Hurray David for doing such a great job :) Michael and Liam were COMPLETELY different potty-trainers so I underave stand where you are coming from. Except I had the easy one first- not sure which is better? Now we have to wonder what #3 will come up with...

Kelsey said...

Go David! Ugh, we've barely even begun w/ Michael yet and I feel a little guilty. But if he's ready now he'll still be ready in another couple of weeks/months, right?