Friday, March 19, 2010

My own little madness

I'm always conscious of trying not to be too negative. I don't want to sound whiny or full of self-pity. Nobody wants to hear that, I'm sure.

However, I'm struggling to say much of anything right now other than: I'm having a hard time.

Here are the players:

*I mentioned before that a few people close to me are going through some legitimately difficult times. It's hard.

*We are getting ready to get a new roof, sooner than we had planned, and the purse strings feel tighter than usual. I feel a little squirmy about the whole ordeal.

*In the next 8 weeks, I have 2 kids' birthdays, my sister's bridal shower, and her wedding. By the time all of that is over, it's time to have a baby!

*We went to Pittsburgh last weekend to visit Mom and Greg, and the kids developed fevers before we left. It was great to see Oma and Opa, but the fevers persisted, and the kids were definitely feeling worse by Monday (insert Mommy guilt here).

*On Monday, the doc reported strep throat for Katy and ear infection for David. We started both on antibiotics and Katy missed another day of school (St. Patrick's theme).

*On Tuesday, David was in so much pain that he cried inconsolably for several hours. It was so awful that I called the pediatrician again to make sure it wasn't the meds, but they assured me it was his ears.

*Tuesday evening, Brian came home with body aches and an upset stomach. He felt so badly that he missed both Wed and Thurs at work.

*David slept horribly all week - not taking naps longer than 45 minutes and waking up frequently at night. I haven't slept more than 6 hours total any night this week (hi, newborns!).

*With the gorgeous weather outside this week, things really perked up by Thursday. I took Katy on her fire station field trip (she did great), and we spent lots of time outside. Everyone was feeling a little better so I thought surely today would be better. Surely.

*Last night Katy woke up screaming for 30 minutes with leg pain (growing pains, I'm assuming?).

*Then David woke up crying with...you guessed it...another fever. He was very fussy and had me up at 5:30 again this morning (which of course feels like 4:30 with the time change). David has now had a fever for 12 of the last 20 days.

*Took David back to the doctor today. His ears are clear and this is a new illness, most likely a virus since he's already on antibiotics, and possibly related to Brian's illness (please, Lord, no). Just waiting to see who else is going to get what at this point.

So I'm tired. And frustrated. And emotional. And oh, yeah: 6 months pregnant.

And I have to go back to this discussion: how does this happen? the constant sickness? I feel like we are sick so often it's ridiculous, and I know that lots of other families are too, but not all of them. So what am I doing wrong? I could keep them home and away from other kids, but that is almost as miserable to me as the illness (not to mention that we didn't go anywhere this week and David picked something up). And is this going to pay off at some point? Perhaps they won't be as sick as others when they start school? Or are they always destined to catch everything in sight? Perhaps I need to research boosting the immune system.

Or perhaps I just need a nap.

Next week will be better. It HAS to be, right? Or maybe I just need to change my perspective.

6 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

First, I vote YES for the nap right out of the gate. Sleep deprivation and depression are constant companions.

Spring is a time for things to start growing . . . even the viruses and germs. Warm, moist bodies and throats are great places for illnesses to breed. It is prime season for Chicken Pox and respiratory stuff with pollen in the air.

I don't have any special advice. Just the usual stuff. Wash hands often. Take vitamin C. I think you said the doctor advises against giving antihistamines to the kids. Benadryl/Triaminic used to help you keep from being congested and thus avoid a few ear infections and sore throats if you catch it early. Does the doctor have any suggestions for decongestants that are okay to use?

Otherwise, I'm sympathetic and keep praying that you will be healthy and get rest.

Love,
Mom

Charity said...

It's weird. I was just having a conversation with a friend today about this same topic! Her family (and mine) have truly had the sickest winters we've ever had. I'm so, so done with it!!!
I don't know what happened this year, but I feel like almost all the families she and I know have experienced similar sicknesses this year.
(She's an out of town friend, too, so we're not even sharing germs!)
I sure hope next week is better for you. Sorry it's been so rough lately.

Dutcher said...

EM! So sorry that everything feels like it's happening at once! I don't have any good advice, just sympathy. Definitely a nap will help you! Love and hugs!

bluedaisy said...

Oh, your plate is full and then some...first, always take a nap whenever possible. I am a big fan. Everything else can wait (no really, it can). Somehow, we have had an easy winter season but for the past 2 weeks, illness has come back with a vengeance. Maybe the change in season will move you guys out of the sick zone? I will keep my fingers crossed for you that everyone gets healthy and that all the pieces fall into place for you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Emily. I had no idea it was this rough! So, pat yourself on the back for still being in an upright position and not in the funny farm. Seriously...this week can only be better.

- nieghbor Steph

Unknown said...

Am catching up on your blog after a long absence. So sorry you're dealing with so much. Little ones are just plain hard and sick little ones are darn near impossible. Someone once told me that when raising small children, the days go by slowly but the years go by fast. I find it so true. Sometimes it's a struggle to just get through the day, then you turn around and you're registering them for kindergarten. (Did that last week. Yikes!)
Prayers for wellness for you and your family,
Alicia