Tuesday, May 27, 2008

2 (yrs.) + 2 (mos.) = 1 (stressful well visit)

I thought it would be a really good idea to combine Katy's 2 year checkup with David's 2 month checkup. Just think of the savings in gasoline and waiting time!! I should've known by the nurse's wincing when I made the appointment that it was going to have it's challenges.


Of course, I knew Katy was going to freak out. If there is one person in this world that she is afraid of, it's Dr. B. She was afraid of him before she was afraid of anyone else. He's the ultimate Stranger. So in preparation, I got out a play doctor's kit and books from the library about visiting the doctor, and then I even googled Dr. B so that she could see his picture before we went. As soon as his face appeared on the screen, she got that nervous posture and starting saying, "no doctor, no doctor." But after reading books and listening to each other's heartbeat for a week, I thought she was ready.


It didn't make a hill of beans of difference.


This time she even panicked as soon as we entered the room with the nurse. They gave her a sucker (her first) which got her through the weighing and measuring. But as soon as Dr. B entered the room: panic. Thank goodness I had the wherewithall to bring her blanket and her father. We talked to the doctor over a lot of screaming, but we got through it.


And then I had forgotten about how upsetting it is to see them stick all those needles in your newborn and watch the newborn totally lose his mind because he has no idea why he hurts. Poor, poor baby. So hard to watch. And I had also forgotten about how they're pretty fussy for the next day or so, and how that's stressful to deal with, too. Not to mention all the hype about vaccines these days which makes you worry that you're even making the right choice in getting them. (Did anyone see that article in Time magazine this week? It was really interesting, definitely pro-vaccine, but brought up a lot of things I had never thought of before and made me feel better about all the stuff David would be getting this week).

But in the end, we're no worse for wear and the kids are healthy. What an incredible blessing.


But you don't care about all THAT. Just tell me how much those kids weigh!!


Okay, okay.




David:

Wt.: 13 pounds, 9 ounces - 55%'ile

Ht.: 24 inches - 80%'ile

HC: 15.75 inches - 55%'ile


(I was shocked that he was only 55%'ile for weight! And his 3-6 month outfits are already snug? Dr. B also commented on his broad shoulders. He called him Incredible Hulk.)




Katy:

Wt.: 24 pounds, 9 ounces - 25%'ile

Ht.: 32.25 inches - 25%'ile


(Proportionally still a peanut. I did this little calculation online today with this info to predict how tall she will be as an adult - it said she'd be 5' 1", and that there's a 90% chance that this is accurate within 1.7 inches. So it looks like she may end up even shorter than I am! Poor girl, I'll be teaching her to hem her pants before she's in junior high.)

3 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

The good news is that David is leaning toward being TALL and big. That is okayer than short and wide. It isn't too bad at all for a boy. But, he will be pushing Katy around in no time if the trend continues.

Katy is just in the average range of females on our side of the family. 5'1" or 5'2" is pretty normal for the ladies in our clan. We aren't small; just concentrated. Katy is DEFINITELY concentrated. :-)

Anonymous said...

David is JUST LIKE his namesake! (and his father) with the broad shoulders! Katy is perfect in every way!

Emily- you should write a book. Your writing is wonderful! Grammy and Papa John

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I read this today - Sam's 2-month appt is on Monday... I'm going to check out the Time article right away.

I'd LOVE to be ww buddies! my email is emily at momminitup.com