Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!!


Although I would've liked to have had a baby this weekend, instead we had a very nice time as a family of 3 celebrating Easter. And it was good to be able to spend this time with Katy, because I keep feeling guilty for the decrease in attention that she will receive from me sometime soon...

On Saturday, our local library had a Duckling Day event: it starts with an Easter egg hunt, continues with a duckling parade (all the kids are supposed to dress like ducks), and then ends with crafts, games, and puppet shows inside the library. We missed the egg hunt due to difficulty getting our car started, but made it to the rest. It was cold, but Katy had fun playing with her friend Brooklyn and seeing a few other kids she knows. It was neat for me, because I realized that I have gotten involved in enough "mommy" activities in this area that I actually know some people when we go to an event like this. This was nice, because so often I feel like we are missing the community aspect of living in a family oriented neighborhood.




That night we went to church. I know, it seems weird to go to Easter service on Saturday night, but as our pastor pointed out, it was sunrise in Jerusalem. We've been going to Saturday service for a while now as our church has gotten quite crowded on Sundays, and all of our friends on Saturdays as well. It actually fits our schedule well, and then we have the whole day on Sunday to spend time together as a family.

To be honest, really in my heart of hearts, I wasn't planning on being around for Easter. I just figured that it was only a few days before my due date, so surely I'd have had the baby or be in labor. So I didn't plan to have a dress for Katy. So Saturday afternoon, I pulled together the pieces: dress my mom found on clearance after Easter last year, white shoes from the hand-me-down bag from my neices, borrowed tights from Brooklyn, and recycled sweater from last Easter (that's the advantage of having a little peanut for a daughter - it still fits), and VOILA! Easter cuteness... The service was awesome - a real celebration that was truly enjoyable.


This morning, we gave Katy her basket. Brian thinks we got her too many things, but I just kept picking up little things that I saw here and there over the last few weeks. It was so fun! I didn't realize until I put it all together how much Dora and Sesame Street there was... but Katy loved it all, they are so easily excited at this age...


With the day ahead of us, we decided to go to the zoo. I've been looking forward to going back this spring, because Katy is really old enough to understand so much more about the animals. We thought it would be pretty cold (high of 40 degrees), but we ended up taking off our coats and hats after a while and were quite comfortable. Katy loved the aquarium the most, and we got to see the diver do the hand-feeding of the fish, which was really cool. This was the first time, however, that she was afraid of some things. They had a snake that you could touch, and she was terrified! Then she practically RAN through the rest of the reptile house saying, "I scared! I scared, Daddy!" But overall it was a really nice trip, including a ride of the "horsie" that she hasn't stopped talking about since we went in November.


Everytime we call someone these days, they answer with an expectation in their voice, hoping that we have some news to report... which I quickly tell them that I don't. So I hope this post isn't disappointing because it's not the announcement of our new baby boy. But hopefully soon!!!

4 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

That sounds like a great Easter weekend. Katy is so cute in her little outfit.

So sorry there is no baby news yet (sorry for you, not me). I hated towards the end when people were constantly asking about it too. He'll be here before you know it!

Pam said...

Happy Easter. Katy looks lovely. Good luck this week - we're all officially on baby watch!

Anonymous said...

Em, I love Katy's Easter outfit! So pretty. Way to go! Happy Easter to all three of you.
Also congratulations on the pig tails!

Oma Froehle said...

Emily:

Can you please e-mail a picture of Katy in her Easter outfit for my "wall of fame" at the office?

Relax and enjoy your days this week. The baby will be here before you know it!

Love, Mom