Thursday, July 19, 2007

When Doctor's Appointments Get Complicated

Today I have a dentist appointment and a doctor's appointment. What I was thinking scheduling them on the same day, I will never know.

When Katy was small, it was stressful to take her to the doctor with me (making sure she's well fed and rested in perfect timing with the appointment, trying to keep her entertained while we wait the 30 minutes for the doctor to make his/her grand entrance), but at least it was possible. When the time came for the exam or whatever I'm there for, I could plunk her in the baby carrier, and there was nothing she could do to cause trouble. Except for maybe protest.

And I can see how when she's a little older, maybe I ask her to sit down and color for a minute or two, and that might be a reasonable expectation.

But right now, it's just really not an option to take her. I don't have anything comparable to a baby carrier (do they make a "toddler carrier"?), and I can't imagine the terror she could cause in 30 seconds of being loose in the examining room without me restraining her.

But surely some people must bring their toddlers, right? Not everyone has husbands with such kind supervisors who will let employees' kids wreak havoc on the office for an hour while the wife is away (this is my lucky situation). So what do you do? No seriously, any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Today Katy is 14 months old. She has been amazing me with new developments. Last night Brian taught her to pass a tennis ball back and forth, and we actually sat in a triangle with Mommy, Daddy, and Katy, and passed the ball around between the 3 of us. Katy kept cracking up when the ball came to her. It was so cute.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the year of the wedding or what? We have been invited to SIX weddings so far this year, (3 in a row in September) and only one of them was in town. It's hard, because we would truly love to attend them all, but it's just not logistically possible, you know? I have a really hard time turning down a wedding invitation, because I know it's such a special occasion, and you really want to share it with everyone.

6 comments:

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

I can't help the doctors scenario other than suggesting you ask Aunt Mel or Hubby to watch her. I have a question about the same kind of thing though. After I've changed Jack at a diaper station in a restroom, how on earth do I wash my hands? He can't walk yet so do I just let him crawl on the floor (yuck)? I wish interior designers would think of these things! Supply us with hand cleanser above the station!!!

Oh, don't get spooked by the deleted message - it was me.

Erin said...

I know, I LOVE weddings! I hate to miss one, and I've had to miss quite a few due to not being able to travel (mostly because I tend to use up all my vacation time from work for, um, maternity leaves).

Hey, thanks for all your supportive comments lately. It's so fun when there are other moms out there excited to meet the new babe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily: I can identify with your dilemma. When my kids were small, the closest relative was 100 miles away. I'm sure you are not the only mom in this situation. Perhaps some of your friends (play group moms, etc) can help each other out..sort of a babysitting co-op.
Give Katy a big hug from Grandpa Dick and Grandma Sue.

From Sue

Kelsey said...

We also use babysitters or the husband for doctor appointments. I have enough trouble restraining Harper at HER appointments!

We have had to deal with the wedding thing too; with vacation time and basketball schedule for Matt and the logistics of going with a two-year-old, not to mention the expense of out of town weddings! We've missed at least one a year for the past three years.

Jen said...

Glad you liked Emmy's pics. She is such a sweetheart!

No big plans for August. Ellie turns 3 on the 19th and we start homeschooling the following week, but we're free the rest of the month. Let me know if you head down this way.