Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grandpa's Lake




When I was growing up, our family visited my grandparents' cottage on a lake in northern Indiana several times each summer. My sister, who was small at the time, would refer to it as "Grandpa's Lake." My grandparents still own this cottage, although I haven't been there in 10 or 15 years. So this weekend, for our 2nd anniversary and our maiden Katy-less voyage, we went back to Grandpa's Lake. Our weekend had a couple of highlights:




1) We slept. (a lot)




2) We ate. (a lot)




When I woke up and saw that it was 8am, guess what I did? I rolled right back over and continued to doze. And after a short walk, if I felt tired? That's right. Slept again. It was perfect.






I probably didn't need all the calories I consumed, but I sure enjoyed them. I enjoyed them without coming up with a toddler-friendly version that needed to be cut into little pieces and then picking up a third of those pieces up off the floor and wiping another third out of a vinyl seat. I also ate when I wanted to eat, as opposed to scheduling meals, as well as every other activity, around naps and bedtimes. Again, perfect.




But I must say, gosh, I missed that little girl. I called often, and my mom was kind enough to send picture messages to keep me up to date on their activities ("Look mom, I'm swinging!"). And Katy did surprisingly well. As well as she possibly could've done. So well that I'm jealous that I wasn't here to experience this level of toddler perfection. But I'm glad that Oma got to experience it, and I was happy to come back, which is really nice. Our reunion was a sweet moment that I will remember for quite a while.




Our trip did have some other highlights. We went to get pizza on the lake and happened upon a ski bee. If you aren't familiar (I wasn't), it's like a spelling bee, except on water skis. And without the spelling part. Anyway, it was really cool. We saw things like this:


Some friendly neighbors also took us out on their boat to see the fireworks over the lake, which was great since we hadn't been able to see any back home.




On the way home, we were able to stop in a see Brian's Grandma. She wanted ice cream, and we got to experience the most generous creamery in all of Ohio. It was really nice to see her, and we promised next time to have Katy with us (I know we're pretty boring by ourselves).






One final Katy update: she's started to be interested in coloring and drawing, so today I bought her a coloring pad and crayons. So you think she has a future in art?



3 comments:

Erin said...

Wow. That sounds like a fantastic weekend. Good for you guys for going just the two of you!

Kelsey once told me that, "it's good to get away sometimes and realize you miss your child." That was some really great insight I think, and I remind myself of that whenever we do something without Calum.

And that's cool about the coloring! Go with it! Even at 18 months, Cal is still much more interested in eating or throwing crayons & markers. He could use a lesson from your little budding artist.

Oma Froehle said...

Oma loves her Katy! She was truly a delightful companion the whole weekend. One of my favorite moments was on Monday morning. Katy was in the attic swinging in the "cocoon" swing. Melanie came up to say good-bye before leaving for work. She started down the stairs and called back, "Bye, Katy!" Katy was still swinging and couldn't see Melanie at all, but she yelled back "DAH!" (her version on 'bye'). It was priceless.

Jen said...

Sounds like a fun child-free weekend! The only times I've been away from the kids for any extended period of time, I've been in the hospital giving birth to the next one. Don't think that really counts. =) Maybe next year for our 10-year anniversary!