Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sick of Being Sick

Guess who has a fever? I'll give you a hint: she lives in this house, and it's not me (or Melanie).

I have to admit I'm a little confused... it's supposed to be summer. Kids don't get sick in the summer as much, right? I literally feel like Katy has not had more than a 2-week healthy stretch since last fall. I could give you links to all the posts in my blog archive to prove it, but I'm sure you trust me. It seems like she is always sick.

And another thing I don't understand...I had always heard that little kids who are in daycare have this problem, but the child is home with me - where is she getting this? Of course we go out, she goes to the church nursery and to playgroup. She goes to the park and to Target. She goes to my mom's house and to the pool. But am I doing something wrong? Should I be disinfecting her toys more often (ever)? Or just not going out so much? Or getting her to stop sucking her thumb? (ok, if you really think that's the solution, don't tell me, because I just can't go there yet)

So far this round is characterized by a low grade fever and a little bit of fussiness. I'm hoping it will go away before all the wedding festivities in the upcoming weekend.

3 comments:

Kate said...

It gets better... I was looking on my blog at old posts. Colin had a stretch of nearly 3-4 months where we were sick every week.

With each sniffle and fever katy gets, she's building those immunities. Next year will be much better. I promise.

Marie Green said...

Also, it could be teething? Don't worry, the first years are like that. It gets better!

PS. not sure how I found you, but I like your blog...

Erin said...

You're not doing anything wrong! It just happens, and it just sucks too. I think they get more sickness when they start being mobile. That's based on my one and only child-rearing experience so far, but that's what I think. They're all over the floor everywhere and still putting everything in their mouths. They're bound to catch stuff that way.

We had that fever pass through our house a few weeks ago. Hope she feels better soon.