Friday, June 22, 2007

Role Reversal in a House Full of Sickies

Yesterday was a bad day. A very bad day. I had been feel a little under the weather the night before, and yesterday morning I sat up in bed around 5:00am and said, "That's weird, I feel a little nauseous." After a couple of minutes of contemplating exactly how nauseous I felt, I ran to the bathroom to toss my cookies. And here's the weird part, at that exact moment, I could hear Melanie doing the same thing in the restroom right below me.

So Brian ended up calling off work so he could take care of Melanie and I as we took turns running to the bathroom and trying to avoid contact with Katy in the meantime. It was one of those flu things where you just feel so miserable you want to cry. And all I could think about the whole time was, "oh PLEASE don't let Katy get this, oh PLEASE oh PLEASE oh PLEASE."


So while Brian acted as Mr. Mom, Katy decided that Mommy looked like she needed a little help too. Now here's a girl who won't sit in your lap to read a book for more than 30 seconds, and will barely sit still long enough to finish a bottle. But yesterday at various points throughout the day, she crawled up into my lap, snuggled up comfortably with me, and just cuddled, for even 20 minutes at a time. In a strange sort of way, Katy seemed to know that something wasn't right, and she was taking care of me in the way I usually take care of her.


So today Melanie and I both feel better. Not 100%, of course, but much better than yesterday. And so far, knock on some serious wood, Brian and Katy seem to be hanging in there. We are supposed to go to Pittsburgh to see my mom this weekend, but we're waiting to see whether the stomach flu will allow that or not.


And in another small milestone, Katy finally reached that all-important 20 pound mark! Which means (because she's over a year) that she can face FORWARD in the car seat. Here's a photo of her first forward-facing experience.


3 comments:

Jen said...

Hope that you are feeling even better today and that nothing interferred with your trip to PA. Only 7 days until you join the "30-club"!

Pam said...

I hope you are feeling okay now too.

What an exciting milestone for Katy - does she like it more or less?

Kelsey said...

I hope the sickness has left the house! Harper was a different kid in the car when we turned her seat around -- hope Katy likes it.