Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Safety Reminder from Your Friendly Neighborhood Spaz

Tonight we had a little incident. Now looking back on it, I can call it that, a "little incident," but in fact it could have been a big, very serious incident. But the Lord was looking out for us.

Because of the incredibly beautiful weather, we had decided that we would grill out for dinner. So Brian had run to the store to get some charcoal, and I was home with Katy, thawing pork chops, shucking corn, and baking potatoes (doesn't that sound like the great American Sunday afternoon? like straight out of a country song). Katy and I were in the kitchen when all of the sudden I noticed something out of the ordinary: the toaster oven - up. in. flames. In my mind, I completely panicked. But somehow, after the initial "KATY! OH MY GOSH! Where is the fire extinguisher!!?!?!" (as if she would know or could tell me), I managed to retrieve the fire extinguisher from beneath the kitchen sink, pull the pin, (haven't you always wanted to do that since elementary school?) aim, and pull the trigger. And it was out. Just like that. Then I looked at Katy, who was completely clueless as to why I had such a spazzy look on my face, picked her up and hugged her like crazy. Luckily I caught it before it damaged anything else, and after a little clean-up and ventilation, we were back to normal. But I've been spooked all evening about how last week I put something in the oven (the big one, not the toaster), and went for a walk, leaving the house unattended. I know we've all done it. But I guess it really isn't safe.

So I guess what I'm saying is, do you have an extinguisher in your kitchen? You should get one.

4 comments:

Pam said...

No, we don't have one. AND the smoke detector was so sensitive we took it down. Guess how I'm going to spend my Monday night???
Glad you are okay.

Erin said...

Whoa. Glad everything (except, obvsiously, the toaster) was okay. Yes, we have one in our kitchen and one upstairs. We had the same thing happen to our toaster when I was a kid, and it stuck in my head.

I've never actually used a fire extinguisher, but it's nice to know yours worked on demand!

Thanks for the safety reminder!

Kelsey said...

I'm so glad everyone is okay! Yikes. That would be scary and good for you for thinking so fast. We do have a fire extinguisher, but I'm thinking it may need to be closer to the kitchen.

Kate said...

Our extinguisher is expired... and my toaster was smelling like it could be cleaned. Paranoia, and a thanks for the tip.