Thursday, March 01, 2007

Be still, my heart


I feel like Katy is constantly changing and learning new things. And her LIFE changes so fast, I don't know how she keeps up with everything. For example, 2 weeks ago she could not/would not eat bananas off her high chair tray. Today she loves them, and when she finishes the ones on her tray, and I don't immediately respond by placing more bananas, she bangs on her tray and squeals, as if to say, "More bananas, look alive!" In fact, her diet has changed quite a bit lately. She's been nursing less (which is emotional for me, but all good things come to an end), drinking more bottles, and eating more solid foods (finally). About a month ago, she wasn't interested in much of anything except breast milk. Lord only knows how and why these things happen.


Today we went to the mall to have her 9 month portrait taken. Every time it's picture day, I feel like all my activities for the day revolve around making Katy the happiest baby she can be at the appointment time. When the appointment is at 3:00, that can make for a long day. But it went well, we definitely got some cute pictures. But here's the part where my heart stood still: we were in the studio, waiting for the photographer, Katy crawling around on the floor, and this older gentleman stops and coos at Katy, as strangers often do. There must've been something scary about him in Katy's eyes, though, because she burst into screaming tears, and then...very distinctly... said, "Mama!!!" and turned toward me to be picked up. While I felt bad for the man who was just trying to be kind, I was also caught up in feeling a little teary for my little girl, who I think just called me by name for the first time.


But as much as I love my daughter, I'm really looking forward to tonight. All the ladies in my playgroup are meeting up for dinner at my favorite place: Cap City Diner. It will be really fun to get out with some ladies who are in my same place in life, just to blow off a little baby steam. Cheers!

2 comments:

Pam said...

I got teary just reading it! She spoke! Ohhhhh

Oma Froehle said...

Cheer up! Pretty soon she will be brushing the stuff she doesn't like off the high chair tray and saying "mo' nana." This rapidly processes to shaking her head no when you offer vegetables of any type . . . and it's all down hill from there. :-) There are several more culinary milestones to come in the next 18-20 years. Enjoy them all.

Hope the pictures turn out well. Can't wait to see them.