Monday, March 19, 2007

10 months old and sickly

One of the hardest things for me about this whole parenting thing has been deciding when Katy is sick enough to take her to the pediatrician. I mean I have really stressed and stressed about this on more than one occasion. Once I even called and made an appointment and then called back and cancelled it because I changed my mind. It doesn't help that the "medical advice nurse" at our pediatrician's office must have in her job description: "Be able to talk people out of bringing their children into the office, suggest home remedies, and generally act as if everything is no big deal." The last time I called and said that Katy had a temp of 101, she said that she needed to have a fever for 3 days or it needed to be OVER 103 before I should bring her in. So I waited 3 days, brought her in, and she had an ear infection, so I started antibiotics after 3 miserable days for the whole family.

So yesterday Katy came down with a runny nose, fever, and a good bit of fussiness. She was pretty much acting exactly like the ear infection incident. So this morning I decided: this time I'm not going to wait, I'm going straight in, not even going to call the advice nurse. Well, guess what? No ear infection. The doc says there's a virus going around and she's probably got that, so just wait it out. But he assured me that if I had called him and described her symptoms, 100% of the time he would've said, "Bring her in, sounds like an ear infection." So I guess it wasn't a waste, at least I know what it is, I don't have to worry that she needs antibiotics, and we can look hopefully toward the middle of the week when she'll feel better. Do you think that's worth a $15 co-pay? I'm sure I'll be debating that the next time she's sick...

Oh, and by the way...she's 10 months old today.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I hope she's feeling better soon! We've had sort of a lame, is it a cold? Isn't it a cold? game going on at our house lately. Just when I've made up my mind to call the doctor, she'll have a day of seeming fine, then the next day coughing, nose running, etc. I think little ones can just be like that. So glad it's not an ear infection this time for you!

Kate said...

I've done this SO many times. Luckily pediatricians are used to dealing with stressed out parents. But you know you'd feel bad if you didn't take her in. And as she gets older she'll at least be able to answer yes or no and it will be easier to tell. Poor Katy!