Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Lead-up to Christmas

So potty training has gotten more challenging with each day that progresses. He now throws a fit every time I try to take his diaper off (when he wakes up, etc) and he refuses to sit on the potty no matter what I say. He hasn't sat on the potty for over 24 hours now. I've cleaned up several accidents, but not as many as you would think. I think he's actually holding it until I put a diaper on him at bedtime/naptime. I feel really drained with the whole thing. I'm willing to stick with it for a week or so, just to see what happens, but I don't know. Giving up altogether feels like failure. (I did look back at the blog to when I trained David and had forgotten that I tried when he was 2.5 and it was a disaster, so I waited until he was almost 3 and he learned really quickly.)

We've gotten to do a few holiday celebration-type things to help get into the spirit. The kids are enjoying opening up the advent calendar everyday to find out what's in store for the day. Last weekend we went to a holiday film festival which also included crafts and a Santa visit. We got to see our friends Pam and Craig from the old neighborhood. Somehow moving 20 minutes away means you only see each other once a year? I'm glad that I get to keep up with her on her blog. Our first babies were born within a few weeks of each other and it was great to learn the ropes of parenthood together back then.

This Santa was SUCH a good Santa. Very personable and friendly with the kids, getting down on their level and very interested in what they had to say.

Katy and David each brought a list (Katy: "Magic set or school set", David: "Torque from Cars 2 or sword like Franks'.") and Santa carefully read the list and then folded it and tucked it carefully in his pouch around his neck.

As I assumed, Luke wanted nothing to do with Santa. But later he saw a picture of him and said, "Santa Claus! I sit Santa Claus!"

David's BFF Frank and family met us there as well, and these two were cracking each other UP during the short films. Too sweet.

Katy and Jack...not babies anymore! They also had a live kids' band in the theatre and eventually the kids warmed up and danced down in front. I'm sad that I didn't get a picture of Danny and David. They played well together, too, and Danny is a sweetheart.

Luke was pretty much clung to Brian until the very end. But I know he enjoyed it.
 


We also went to the local Christmas parade. It takes about 1 minute to drive there and the parade lasted a whopping 25 minutes. But the kids enjoyed it (and got a handful of candy, of course).

Santa and Mrs. It's officially the season!

1 comment:

bluedaisy said...

Looks like alot of Christmas fun!!

One quick comment on the potty business. I don't think waiting a bit to restart is admitting defeat. It could be that he just needs a little more time...think of this as a good practice run, give it a little time and restart in a couple of months. I know it's alot with a newborn on the way. I tried to get Liam trained before Chloe came along and he was just not having it. About three months after she was born, we tried it again and it was a piece of cake. He was ready and after a weekend of working on it, he was in underwear :)