Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Husband Appreciation Day

Of course I am always thankful for my wonderful husband and all the work that he does as Katy's father. But one thing makes your really appreciate a person even more: when they are gone.


For the past 4 days, Brian has been in Florida visiting a very close friend of his. Since I am so spoiled and lucky to have him around most of the time, I wasn't sure how well I would fare on my own, so I made plans to visit with my family while he was gone. My mom and Greg would come to our house for the weekend, and then I would go to Dayton to stay with my Dad for a couple of days.


Then Katy threw a little wrench in the system and decided to get croup. My carefree family visit turned into an emotional support group as we dealt with a very fussy toddler. But there was only so much the grandparents could do to help out, because it was mommy, mommy, and only mommy for my Katy girl this week. She wouldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and pretty much insisted on watching videos during every waking hour. My poor parents, trying to help me calm a screaming kid at midnight or take her for a few minutes so I could have a bathroom break. And then I was interrupting Brian's trips to the beach with whether or not I should take her to the Urgent Care. She seems to be doing better today, so I'm hoping that the worst is behind us. We're back home and anxiously awaiting Brian's late return flight. I guess I don't always appreciate how much I rely on him to help me out, both by physically sharing the load of parenting and also helping relieve the burden of some decision making. I wanted to call him constantly and discuss, "Should I do this... or that...?" I don't know how single moms or even moms whose husbands travel alot do it - props to you! I feel like a wimp because I am exhausted!


Despite all of this, Katy got well enough in time for me to see a couple of friends I had been planning to visit. We got a chance to see Kelsey and Harper for lunch (at which I forgot to take any pictures), and it was so nice to compare notes on the preparations for baby #2 - the boy edition.


I also got to go to the local children's museum with my friend Jen and her 3 little ones. Even though Katy was not operating at full capacity, she had such a blast, and it was so neat to see our kids playing together. Jen's oldest, Jacob, kept helping Katy out when she was too scared to do something, it was so cute.

(Almost) 5 under 5 between us



Apparently this tunnel is tall enough for standing...you know, if you're 30 inches tall...


I think Katy's favorite part was the grocery store - she did every step that Mommy usually does



Shew...being cashier is hard work...

1 comment:

Jen said...

We had such a fun time with you and Katy. Thanks for including us in your trip to Dayton. I do hope to come visit you in March before #2 makes his arrival. We'll have to look at dates.