Monday, October 22, 2007

Question about wedding attire

This weekend we're going to a wedding for one of my college roommates in Philadelphia. I know what I am wearing, but I'm wondering what Brian needs to put on. My question: is just a tie enough? Do you think he needs a jacket? Here are the facts:

-The wedding begins at 6:30pm.

-The ceremony, followed by "cocktails, dinner, and dancing", are both at a country club.

-There's no specification about attire on the invitation or wedding website.

-I'm wearing a wine-colored, knee-length dress. It's dressy, but not formal.

-I happen to know from a conversation with the bride that her dress does not have a train. (I don't know if this helps, but it's a fact that relates to the attire at the wedding)

-I think my husband owns one tie, maybe two. He does not own a jacket. This would require a purchase.

-Now that I think about it, he doesn't even really own dress pants. Nice khakis are about as fancy as my hubby gets. Do I need to purchase him a new outfit for this occasion? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Personally I would say he should wear a jacket. It sounds nice being in the evening and at a country club. However, I don't think I'd go out an buy one just to attend a wedding. At weddings I've attended I notice that men's attire can vary greatly and is always appropriate. I think khaki's, a dress shirt, and tie would be fine.

Erin said...

I'm with mommy daisy. I'd say yes to the jacket, IF you had one. Maybe borrow one? Otherwise, don't worry about it. Tie will do just fine. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think most people pay attention to what men wear.

Have fun at the wedding!!

Jen said...

Tie and khakis sound fine to me. Like Erin said, no one pays attention to what the guy wears anyway! =)

Oma Froehle said...

Well, as you pass through Pittsburgh, Greg can certainly lend Brian any one of a bazillion regular ties. Since he started wearing bow ties, his straight ones aren't getting much use. Greg's jackets won't help, though. A 48L will hit Brian at the knees.

I doubt he would be the only one without a jacket. But I have many resources. What size does he wear?

Pam said...

I think khakis, shirt & tie. Oh and nice shoes.
My husband is the same. Before a job interview recently he had to buy "nice clothes" so that tells you how informal he is. I'm with the other girls - no one really looks at what the guy wears.

Have a great weekend and hopefully the country club will have a small side room with the Penn State game on!

Mommy Daisy said...

P.S. I tagged you for a meme if you're interested.

Physibeth said...

Is this our mutual college roommate? If so say congrats for me!

I'm with everyone else, I would say a jacket if he owned one, but dress shirt and tie is probably just fine.

Have fun!

-Bethany