Monday, February 05, 2007

Katy's First Swim

The windchill is below zero, what else is there to do other than go swimming? For a while we've been wanting to take Katy to OSU's new Recreation Center, where they have a kid's pool and family hours. So yesterday we bundled up and went. Based on how much she loves her bath, I really thought Katy would like this adventure. Her reaction was a little more confused and anxious than excited. We twirled her around and tried to get her used to the water, and eventually she was smiling some. But it was chilly, even in the water: Brian and I were both cold. So we'd been in about 10-15 minutes and Katy put her thumb in her mouth (classic), and I asked Brian, "Wait a second, is her hand blue?" to which he replied, "Yeah, and so are her lips!" I ran as fast as I could run through knee deep water to get her to a towel - poor baby!! Maybe we'll try again on a warmer day.

Katy also has some other interesting new skills:
-Eating "puffs" (like cheerios)
-Pointing at things (like her reflection in the mirror)
-Saying "da"
-Shaking her head "no" (which I'm convinced really means no, she tends to do it when she's had enough of something)
-"Walking" with a walker-type object (Today at storytime at the library she took a milk crate and walked practically across the room like she's been doing it her whole life!) Won't be long...

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Looks like fun. Katy is growing sooo fast. I'm still hoping for a get togther and I will email you soon!

Kate said...

Hey Emily-- (I "know" Kelsey through my sis Giselle) I stumbled on your blog. Very cool you found a place to swim. I'm in town here, too. I can hook you up with a good storytime if you ever need to get out of the house (librarian that I am). Miss Katy is so adorable. Folks used to call me Katydid when I was little, too!

Pam said...

hey Emily
The kitchen looks GREAT! You are done and we are starting....
Seems like Katy is doing something new every few days. OH they grow so quick!