Friday, July 18, 2008

Thanks, a comparison, and a crappy photo

First of all, I wanted to say thank you for all the encouraging comments on my sleeping post the other day. I felt really comforted by my online community of mommies, and I appreciated everyone's thoughts and advice. Partially I just need to relax and go with the flow, but I also realized that maybe there are some other things I could try that might help the situation. So I'm still tired and frustrated, but emotionally I'm handling it a little better today. Oh, and my mother-in-law read the post and told me that it's payback: apparently Brian was a terrible sleeper as a baby. Humph.



I've been marveling this week at the size difference, or lack thereof, between Katy and David. David is quickly approaching the weight that Katy achieved at her one-year well visit. And technically, they could be wearing the same size diapers. I'm still putting David in size 2 for as long as I can, but in another month or so, he'll be in size 3's, which Katy has been wearing for over a year now. And finally, check out these 2 pairs of shorts, one for each kid, both of which fit them perfectly. These kids are 2 years apart, people!




And in case you couldn't tell, the shorter ones are Katy's. What does it say about our cultural expectations when even toddler girls' shorts are significantly shorter than boys'?

On a funny note, I've mentioned on several occasions about Katy's stranger anxiety. It's still hanging around, but we're learning to get by. Today, Brian and I had to take the kids with us for a brief appointment with a lawyer (and because I'm sure that sparks a lot of curiosity, we were creating our last will and testament. yuck.). Experience told me that Katy was going to be scared, because the lawyer a) is a man, and b) has a beard. So I brought along a little photo book with pictures of family and friends. I thought perhaps if I distracted her while we were in the office, then she wouldn't cry or get upset. Well, she made it through without crying, but I could not pass up the cell phone photo of how she chose to use the photo book to cope with her fear. She hid in the corner of the waiting room for the entire 10 minutes we were there, like this:


2 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

Lawyers have this effect on a lot of people. :-)

Pam said...

Looks like David is going to be big, like our Jack. He's 7 weeks younger than Katy and in size 5 diapers!
Hey - whatever Katy needs to do to block out scary men with beards she has to do right? I personally agree with her :-)