Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cousins (2nd, once-removed?)




April and May are going to be very busy months for us, so there should be a lot of fun posts. Katy and I decided to kick off April with a road trip to northern Ohio to visit my cousin Abby (yes, my one and only first cousin), her husband Stan, and their 6 month old son Gabe. Katy did really well with the up-and-back-in-one-day thing, and she only took one nap, which is very unusual for her. But we really enjoyed the visit. It was great for Abby and I to have a chance to catch up. We've been friends as well as cousins for many years, but we were commenting on how becoming new moms, especially during the same year, really takes your friendship up a notch. Of course the babies enjoyed each other as well, and Katy was showing Gabe how to get into things, and showing Abby what Gabe will be getting into. :)
We were trying to figure out their relationship to each other - I don't understand all that "3rd cousin twice removed" kind of stuff. Does anyone know?
Isn't he a looker? Little Gabe-man...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, has anyone seen the 10 day forecast? I almost cried looking at it. I want to stomp my feet and pout, "NO! I already put my winter clothes away! We're supposed to go to the zoo this weekend! Katy's Easter dress is sleeveless!" But I don't think it will help. Urghhh...blasted Ohio weather.

1 comment:

Barrett said...

Hey Emily -- The cousin thing can be confusing, but I'm pretty sure Katy and Gabe are second cousins. Check out this cousin tree link from Wikipedia. In that diagram, you would be "mother", Abby would be "first cousin once removed" and Gabe would be "second cousin".

I used that diagram a couple weeks ago when I paid a visit to my great uncle and met all their grandchildren (my second cousins). It's still confusing though, so I think we should just call everybody "cuz".