Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mid-September

K: Someday I'm going to be a grown-up!

M: You are? What are you going to do when you're a grown-up?

K: I'm going to make really big poops!!

----
David has a ride-along toy that he pushes from behind when we are outside riding bikes. It's his "buhk". So Katy rides her little bike with training wheels up and down the street, and David is running behind her, pushing this pink and blue scooter. Yes, it's pink. Like everything else in this house. The poor kid lives in a house where 75% of the kid-related items are pink. I'm consciously trying to get gender-neutral items that they would share, but with 3 older neices, it's a tough hurdle to get over.
----
Katy started taking a very informal "dance class" that a friend is offering at her church for preschoolers. Two of her little friends are in the class and it could not be any cuter.
I took ballet when I was 3 or 4, and my mom and Granny love to tell me that on recital night, I strutted onto stage and then proceeded to straighten up all my classmates in the line, to make sure it looked right. Bossy much?
So far Katy doesn't tell the other kids what to do, but she seems to bring kids along. Everywhere we go, it's "Hey! Let's go do this! Come on, [kid], let's go!" I don't think I've ever been that socially confident in my life, so I hope she keeps it up. I don't want her to be bossy, but if she brings kids out of their shell and makes them feel comfortable, that's a good thing.






----

I've finally convinced Katy to try wearing jeans, even though she insists they are too "strong." She also insists that they don't match whatever she's wearing "because there's no blue in my shirt." If I get her to wear them out of house, she looks around at everyone else and says, "but they're not wearing jeans!!"

----

David and I are enjoying our time alone together twice a week while Katy's at school. We've been checking out the indoor playground, parks, library storytimes, etc. It's so nice to have this time, because I feel like Katy demands so much attention these days that it's easy to just drag David along and not focus on him. I'm so thankful to be able to hang out with my Bubs.

----

We're having another round of bedtime battles. Katy is resisting nap and even bedtime, always saying that she's not tired and that she doesn't like to go to bed. I feel like bedtime with her is SO high maintenance, and then David we just toss in the crib and we're done. I know partially it's the age, because she was easy when she was his age. But UGH. Bedtime feels like a power struggle right now and we're trying to figure out how to nip it in the bed. I mean bud.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Drop the naps maybe? We did and it helps. We have similar problems though - it's a toddler dilemma I think.