Friday, June 20, 2008

Sum Sum Summertime

It's the first day of summer. It always seems to me that the first day of summer comes when it's already been summer for quite some time. Heck, it was 95 here for 2 weeks already. We've been enjoying some summer activities, and Katy is in love. She's so happy that I don't know how I'll ever get her back in the house when it gets cold again. So enjoy a few pictures of pure unadulterated outdoor fun.







But while we're at it, if I may say a few words about sleep. My pediatrician says that baby sleep happens in a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of fashion. This week we've taken a few backward steps.


Oh, how I hate the backward steps.


I have to admit that prior to this week, David was sleeping really well. So well that I haven't mentioned it on this blog because I was embarrassed about it, like I really don't deserve a 2 month old who takes such good naps and sleeps such long stretches at night. Plus, I was afraid it wouldn't last. Alas, it hasn't.


First went the naps. We went from long naps to cat naps and from going down easily to fighting it. Then I decided to mess with his night sleep and move him from the bassinet in our room to his crib in his room. He's quickly approaching the weight limit on the bassinet, but I don't like moving him because it means I have to go downstairs in the middle of the night to feed him and UGH, that's rough. But I really thought that he wouldn't notice the switch. When I moved Katy, she just continued her normal sleep pattern. But David is apparently a little more observant, because he went from getting up once to getting up 3 times. And did I mention the stairs?


But today was better, and things are looking up. If we took our backward step, then we're ready for another 2 forwards, right? The thing that I'm really nervous about is that in 2 weeks, he'll reach the age limit on his swaddling blanket. I really cannot imagine him sleeping without being swaddled. So I may have to come up with an alternative. Any suggestions?


But oh my gosh, he is so cute. I took the kids to get portraits a couple of weeks ago and I just picked up my prints today. That baby actually smiled for his pictures, at 2 months old!! I couldn't believe the expressions on his face. What a stinker. I'm looking forward to the first laugh. That one is one of the best.


4 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

Katy is having soooo much fun with Brooklyn and the pool!

David will settle in again. You happened to move him to the crib when he was probably progressing to a more active stage anyway. DOUBLE WHAMMY! Plus all this was right after the wedding where he found out he COULD stay awake for a while. TRIPLE WHAMMY! It will take a few days to find a new groove. :-) He's a charmer (like his dad.)

Greg said...

Re the swaddling blanket alternative, my dad used to put us in a bench vise. Kept us real quiet.

It was good to have y'all over. I'm sure we'll reciprocate very soon. :-)

Kelsey said...

We have a cheap-o swaddle blanket from babies r us. They come in different sizes and based on the poundage I wouldn't imagine there is an age limit. They may not work quite as well as the miracle blanket, but they do work for Michael.
Email me if you want details and I'll look up the exact specs!

LOVE the outside pictures, looks like it was a beautiful day.

Pam said...

Loved the Katy pictures - must see you all soon.
Do you have one of those wedges? We used one till Jack started moving about. We'd swaddle him in a blanket and wedge him in. Worked great. The transition will be okay - just a new thing for him.
He's such a stunner!!!