Friday, June 27, 2008

The end of the 4th trimester


When I was pregnant with Katy, I worked with a girl who had recently had a baby. She told me, "The first 3 months of the baby's life is like the fourth trimester. Your body is still functioning under par, and the baby is still so dependent on you that you might as well be pregnant." She went on to say that all the babies you see on TV and in magazines are at least 4 months old, all bright eyed and content. No one ever shows you what they are like in the first 3 months.


I repeated that conversation over and over in my head during Katy's first 3 months. It was true, I had no idea what newborns were like and I was counting down the end of the first 3 months, when everyone promised me she would stop crying inconsolably. And it was true, after 3 months she started to gradually get easier and easier, until she was a very happy 1 year old.



This time around, the fourth trimester hasn't been as dramatic or shocking, but I'm still glad to be reaching the 3 month mark. David is starting to be so much more interactive and personable. He's starting to reach for toys (somewhat), blow raspberries, roll onto his side, and break out of his swaddling blanket (this could be another post -ugh). And I can't wait to see what he'll do next - I just love seeing them learn new things. This is the most enjoyable part of parenting.



But I also just can't believe it's already been 3 months. It's the END of JUNE?!?! We haven't even been to the pool yet. How can June be over? I feel like David was just born, but we're already one quarter through his first year.



One funny thing about 3 month olds (or at least for my kids) is that they are starting to experience Baby Pattern Baldness. The baby hair is falling out, but first it rubs off where their heads rub against the crib/floor/car seat. So David is currently sporting both a mohawk and a mullet. Not many people could pull this off, but I think he's doing a good job with it.





Several people have asked me if I think David looks like Katy. I see a little resemblance (in the cheeks), but it's hard for me to tell. But when I was looking for pictures of Katy when she was 3 months old, now I can see it...


Katy at 3 months



David at 3 months


Katy again




David again


So it should all get easier from here, right? I won't count on it, but I do look forward to seeing what David will be like in the next 3 months...

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I have thought about this phenomenon a lot lately. If Michael was born at my due date, we'd still be in this phase until early August. He spent most of his THIRD trimester already out of the womb. It has gotten a little easier since he came home, but not much. I'm hoping we'll really turn that corner in another month or so. It is getting me through, thinking he's not actually nearly four months old, like the calendar says.

Good job capturing David's smile. He's so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how glad I am to be reminded of this... I return to work next Monday, right after Sam hits the three month mark, and it makes me feel better to remember about the fourth trimester thing.

Happy bday!! I think we might have been separated at birth, lol.

Amanda said...

What beautiful babies!! No kids myself, but I just had to tell you how cute they are (as if I, some stranger needed to tell you that). Love the cheeks!!