Friday, October 14, 2011

Calamity

Earlier this week, a fuel tanker crashed a few miles from here, spilling fuel at the intersection of 2 major highways. An 8-mile stretch of both highways was closed in both directions for EIGHTEEN hours, causing what some called the worst traffic gridlock in this city for 20 years. Several busses in our district didn't complete their morning route until after 11am - can you imagine having elementary students on the bus, stuck in traffic for over 2 hours? Potty? Tears? Restlessness? Nothing you can do? Those bus drivers deserved a bonus that day, or at least a piece of cake. All of this mess resulted in Katy's first "calamity day," because they cancelled afternoon kindergarten and started all the busses home early. Very strange what one truck crash can do to a million people for a day. (Sadly, the driver died.) Brian took David on his pumpkin fieldtrip, which was thankfully out in the country, so he didn't have a problem getting there, but some families never made it.

David chose Daddy to take him on his first field trip. I get that, I would've chosen him, too.


--

On the same day, my friend Abigail packed her family onto a plane and moved to Colorado. The week prior was filled with several "lasts" (last girls' night! last playgroup! last BBQ!) and several tears. As I mentioned before, not only is she part of a group of friends that I love, but she's one of my closest friends and I will miss her dearly. And do you know what arrived my mailbox just as she boarded the plane? A most precious gift...

A photobook! I hardly ever get prints of the pictures I take, so this is such a treat.

The crew...8 babies in 5 years...and counting.

The ones we'll miss.

The kiddos

The wild ones

The new neighbors (they just moved SO close to us!)

The classy ones

Us

The big kids, who used to be...
...the babies. (Do you see my Diet Coke in that picture? It's an addiction.)

--

Finally, yesterday, my Granny (who recently met us at Young's, married to my Grandpa who spent the summer recovering from a fall in May) fell down the steps and is in the hospital with several fractures (ribs and shoulder).  So far they haven't had to do surgery to set the shoulder, but they will make the final call next week. I've had rib fractures, and they are so painful, especially when you have a chronic cough like Granny. Please pray for her recovery and the transition to home. I'm worried about her. She has spent her whole life loving on others, so I pray we are able to do the same for her. I wish I could just get in the car and drive there. My sister is going today.

1 comment:

bluedaisy said...

What an awesome group of friends- I love those pictures & seeing the one of the babies from a few years back. Amazing!
Also- lots of prayers up for your Granny and your Grandpa!!