Saturday, August 23, 2014



Our family has seen lots and lots and LOTS of change in the past few weeks. I am not gonna lie - change is hard. It has been hard. We're in a bit of a period of transition, and I am trying to take deep breaths and remember that in a few months (I would say weeks but that feels optimistic at this point), this will all feel like the new normal. 

Backing up a bit...Luke is completely better. I mentioned a set-back, but I didn't notice as much of a set-back as just more of the same misery. It really was just a solid ten days of a pretty sick boy, not doing much playing, not doing much eating, very slow progress, getting up a lot at night (he slept in our room), etc. Brian was off for week #4 of my recovery and the 2nd half of Luke's recovery. And it just wasn't a fun week, but we got through it. AND. I might be crazy, but I feel like we could tell a difference right away. He can DEFINITELY hear better (he was crying about the fly buzzing in the house because it was SO LOUD), his language seems to have developed overnight, he isn't waking up at night any more, and he just seems happier, better behaved, more loving. Who knew? Or am I giving the surgery too much credit? Either way, I love this crazy kid, and in a weird way, we grew closer over those ten days of recovery.

Week #5 of my recovery was a carefully calculated schedule of friends who brought their kids over and helped lift Anna as needed (after my mom covered the early morning hours). It was a really nice week, actually, as Luke and I were feeling well, and we had this revolving door of people coming to hang out with us, and we got to catch up with some friends that we don't always make the time to see. 

Week #6, Aunt Mel worked from home at my house, bless her heart! Trying to work in this chaos is not easy, but she made it happen. It was really nice to still have her help this week because it was also the first week of school for Katy and David (starting Wednesday). It has been quite a transition for both of them, and I needed the support as I was trying to figure out how to transport the two kids to two schools. So Katy is in a new building and David is going all day for the first time. The good news is that they both have great teachers and friends in their class and I know they are both in a good place. But it's an adjustment, and there are challenges, and we're working on getting those smoothed out. Baby steps!

Also in week #6, it was a huge week for Brian. After holding his last work position for 14 years, he moved into a new position in a different department at the same university. Once you have been very comfortable somewhere for 14 years, it's easy to forget what it's like to start over. So that first week was also a big transition for him. But now at the end of week 2, he is already feeling more settled and happy and looking forward to the new adventures ahead. More change! 

Finally, after 6 weeks, I am able to pick up this sweet baby girl! I am feeling really good and I'm so excited to be past my restrictions. I've been on my own this past week and it has been nice to be feeling like I'm (somewhat) in control of our days again. I'm trying to get back into exercise and healthy eating (really need it). And although Anna quickly figured out that I can hold her again, after all that time she has developed a close bond with her Daddy. If we're both in the room and she falls down and hurts herself, she'll run past me and go over to him. I'm glad that she has her Daddy, but I also hope we're able to get our bond back quickly. I miss my baby girl snuggles.

We've been working (and working and working) on teaching her not to dump her plate on the floor when she is done. On this morning, she ate a whole bowl of cereal without dumping it, and I tried to make a big deal about it by sending a picture to Daddy. She really seemed to get it and was proud of herself. :) Little victories.

Another thing that I want to remember...all this week, Luke asks me a zillion times a day when we can go pick up David from school (6.5 hours is a loooong time). When David comes home, Luke practically attacks him, he's so happy to see him. Then the two of them disappear into some game they made up. Eventually I need David to come to the table and do a little homework. Luke wants to sit right next to him and constantly asks, "are you done yet? how about now? why is it taking so long?" which makes the homework take twice as long as it should. Brothers! I hope they are always good friends. Luke starts preschool after Labor Day and he is SO excited. We pass his school every day (it's close to the house), and he shouts, "Bye, new school! See you in a couple of weeks!"

Three mornings a week with just me and Anna??? It's going to feel very strange. More change.

1 comment:

cindy said...

David has grown soooo much lately! Beautiful pictures of all of them starting school. You handled the 6 wks of recovery so well. incredibly difficult not to pick up sweet baby Anna that whole time (on top of eveything else). And she IS so sweet, that pic with cereal so precious.