Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Stats, birthday, illness

We're coming up from another round of hard and fast illness. Sunday evening at the end of spring break, I was completely fine one minute, and 10 minutes after that I was very ill. It happened so suddenly and so completely. And then 10 hours later, same things happened to Brian, so I had to get up and take care of the kids while I was still very sick. I called and begged Mel to take David to the dr to see if he had strep again (he did - this makes 3 this year for him) because I could not fathom leaving the house. It will go down in my memory as one of my most difficult parenting days. Blech. Then the next day (yesterday) Katy came down with strep again as well, which means that the tonsillectomy will likely be this summer. Boo. But knock on wood, we're approaching 72 hours since initial stomach bug, and the kids haven't gotten sick? Another 24 hours and I'll feel clear...I keep stomach flu at a distance, I don't trust it even with 72 hours in the clear...

David and Anna both had well visits last week (I took Anna early for her 15 month because there's a mumps outbreak at Brian's work, even with a confirmed case in his building. She was due for the vaccination in a couple of weeks so we bumped it up). They have both grown like weeds!!

David at 6 years:
50 lbs (75 %'ile)
46.25 in. (70 %'ile)
(he has gained 8 lbs and grown 3 inches in the past year...compared to Katy who has grown an inch and maybe gained 1-2 lbs? And I'd like to point out the significance of one of the children in our family being 70th percentile for height?!?)

Anna at 15 months (14.5):
20 lbs, 14 oz (50 %'ile)
29.75 in (30 %'ile)

David had a great birthday. The evening before his birthday, he had a couple of friends over to eat cake and watch Star Wars Episode 1. They had a blast and were so cute. I got them blow-up lightsabers, and they spent a great deal of time hitting each other with them during the movie, but then a certain scene would catch their attention (pod racing or lightsaber battle) and they'd freeze their eyes to the screen for awhile. Then go back to their own battle. They had a blast.

*side note: my photos have been terrible lately. I've been trying to figure out how to take photos in low light without flash, I looked it up but the setting I'm using don't seem to be right...urgh...anyone let me know if you have advice*

He was soooooo excited.

Siblings hung out for the food but went to Oma's during the movie.

I need to explain...he wanted the red icing, I had never used foil wrappers before and they baked differently. Not my best birthday cake ever, but it worked.

Warming up for battle...

Frank even came in full costume, he looked awesome.

On his birthday, Dad and Sue met us at a big (awesome!) bounce place with laser tag and ball games and just lots of active things to do. The kids had a blast (while each of the grown ups took a turn going next door to buy running shoes...a treat for us as well).  Then we had cake and gifts back at the house. 

He was so excited to get roller blades like the big kids (and a skating helmet!) from Grandpa and Grandma Sue.

Singing happy birthday never gets old at this age.

We got him this over-the-door basketball hoop and it has been a huge hit.

This child LOVES Crocs, begs me to wear them all winter long. I loved these Lego Crocs I found online.


Then Oma's birthday is the day after David's, so we grilled out and had another cake and gift session with them on Saturday. David's birthday is the week that never ends! And he got his beloved Rainbow Loom. Yes, the kindergarten boys are trading bracelets these days. Love him!


2 comments:

cindy said...

beautiful pictures. especially love the one of David in crocs, and also with your mom blowing out the bday cake candles. it is hard to believe your second born is 6!!! so thankful for him.

Giselle said...

Have you tried testing the non-strep kid(s) for strep? One winter I got strep 3 times in 4 months. They were about to schedule me to get my tonsils out. I begged for them to test my husband and 3 kids because someone had told me how some people can carry strep without showing symptoms. ALL THREE KIDS came back positive for strep...even though they had never had symptoms. We treated them with strong antibiotics, and voila! I haven't had strep again in 2 years. Darned little carriers...

I hope you all get some relief from illness. And can you believe David is 6??? Where has the time gone?