Monday, July 05, 2010

Week One(ish)


Looking at these pictures from this last week, one word comes to mind to describe our life right now: Full. Not in an overwhelming way, just blessed with three wonderful kiddos and generous family and friends. That's the way I like things, too. Full.



Enjoying a morning video before swim lesson.


The weather last week was downright pleasant. Highs in the upper 70's. So everyone has been outside a LOT. This week it's back up in the 90's and I feel like hibernating in the A/C.







My trip to the Urgent Care last Sunday wasn't the end of my infection, unfortunately. It came roaring back to make the week quite challenging and Mommy quite grumpy. It wasn't until Thursday morning that the culture revealed the proper antibiotic and I was on my way to feeling better by Friday.


My son has triangular toe nails. What gives?

But despite not feeling well, my mom and several other visitors still made the week enjoyable. We took the whole crew out to lunch for my birthday and sat on a beautiful patio. The theme for birthday gifts this year was Pampering, which is Oh So Appreciated. My mom, sister, and I got pedicures on Friday that took one and one half HOURS. I didn't know there were that many things you could do to your feet, but there are.


Said patio.


But now that I'm feeling better, things are going well overall. Luke is twelve days old, which I think is still the Honeymoon period, but so far he seems to be a contented baby. He doesn't cry much, sleeps a lot, eats well and doesn't spit up. Like I said: SO FAR. (please don't jinx me.)


My grandparents, two of my very favorite people, caught in the joy of little kids.



Nighttime sleep is, of course, always the hardest part. There were a couple of nights when Brian and I were high-fiving each other going, "We got one of THOSE babies!" But oh, too soon, too soon. He's doing well for his twelve days, usually doing a couple of 3 or 4 hour stretches. But the biggest struggle is that it takes 1-2 hours to get him back down after he wakes up. That's the worst, isn't it? In the middle of the night when all you want to do is sleep and the baby just WON'T?


She insists on socks. I don't do footwear on babies in the summer.
Katy practically gave Luke his first bath by herself, including dressing. He's like a doll that moves! Every four year old girl's dream. The obsession continues. David couldn't care less.



Like I said: contented. Did not even cry in the bathtub or while his sister took 15 minutes to snap his onesie.


Brian's brother and his family came through from Philly, which was great since we haven't seen them in six months. We let Katy stay up late to catch lightning bugs and do sparklers. She was in heaven. (I hope this makes up for the fact that we missed another year of fireworks. Maybe next year?)


The boys are catching up.



Oh! And guess who has become interested in the potty and proudly pees on command? Good timing, that boy. Good timing. We'll see if I can muster the energy to do a potty push or not, but for now it's nice that he wants to try.


You would think that lightning bugs were pure gold.


So now I'm going to bask in the glory that is paternity leave for the next week or two. Try to get some rest, try to stay cool, and try to enjoy summer for all it's worth. We got Katy's preschool paperwork in the mail and it reminded me that fall will be here before we know it. Happy Summer!


3 comments:

Weed said...

So glad to hear how things are going, and especially that you're feeling better! Can't wait to meet Luke! Let me know when you're up for a playdate.

Kelsey said...

Oh the pictures of your gorgeous family! I'm glad you are really on the mend now.

LOVE the photo of Katy with the fireflies. Magical.

Allecia said...

Love all the pictures. Oh so cute! Thankful you're feeling better and praying you actually do have "one of those" babies!